𝐖𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐚 𝐃𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐦: 𝐌𝐲 𝐅𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐓𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐅𝐥𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐚 𝐉𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐧𝐞𝐲 𝐨𝐟 𝐚 𝐋𝐢𝐟𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞.
For some, a flight is just a means to get from one place to another, a transition across geography. But for me, my first flight was nothing short of a sacred rite of passage. It was the unlocking of a lifelong fascination, a deeply spiritual, emotional, psychological, and intellectual journey, one that fused childhood dreams with destiny in real time. I did not merely travel from Ghana to the United States. I crossed thresholds of imagination, purpose, and becoming. And in the skies, everything I had once studied, dreamt, and prayed for converged into one breathtaking experience.
I still remember the soft Harmattan wind that used to blow through the corridors of my senior high schools in the beautiful country of Ghana, in West Africa. I was a general science student back then in the year 2010, young, curious, deeply intrigued by how things worked. Among all the subjects in my curriculum, Physics stood out as my undisputed favorite. It wasn’t just about formulas and forces; it was about how the invisible governed the visible. How the laws of motion, gravity, thrust, and aerodynamics could explain the movement of planets, the functioning of machines, and yes, how a massive aircraft could defy its own weight and rise into the sky.
Even in those early years, when I hadn’t yet seen an airport, let alone stepped into an aircraft, I was captivated by flight. I would pore over textbooks that explained Bernoulli’s Principle and Newton’s Third Law, letting my imagination take wing. I’d lie under the open sky in Torve (rural Ghana) and watch distant planes leave vapour trails, dreaming of the day I too would rise into the heavens, not just in theory, but in truth.
That dream, planted in the soil of youthful wonder, began to bloom on the night of Tuesday, June 17th, 2025.
As I stood at Kotoka International Airport in Accra (Ghana), my heart thumped, not with fear, but with the weight of awe. This was it. My first time boarding a plane. And not just for any trip. I was en route to the United States of America (specifically Arizona State) as one of Ghana’s selected Mandela Washington Fellows for 2025. I had packed more than luggage. I carried with me a legacy of hope, the aspirations of a village boy from Torve, and the fire of purpose lit in the halls of science classrooms and Scripture-laden quiet times.
I had intentionally chosen a window seat (thanks to Matthew Edor) for every leg of the journey. This was no coincidence. I needed to see it for myself. I needed to witness the manifestation of what had once only lived in equations and experiments. As the KLM Royal Dutch Airlines plane taxied and prepared for takeoff, I pressed my forehead against the window and whispered a silent prayer.
And then, lift-off.
The moment the aircraft detached from the ground was nothing short of miraculous. I could feel every principle of Physics come alive. The engines roared, the nose tilted upward, and we ascended, cutting through layers of atmosphere. I watched, spellbound, as lift and thrust overcame gravity and drag. It wasn’t just a mechanical process, it was a revelation. My mind raced back to the definitions and diagrams from school: air pressure differences across the wing surfaces, the shape of the ailerons, the balance of the aircraft’s centre of gravity. Everything I had learned came to life in those suspended seconds of ascent.
The flight from Accra (Ghana) to Amsterdam (Nerthelands) lasted nearly seven hours, soaring above the west coast of Africa and into the heart of Europe. Yet for me, time warped into something unrecognisable. I was suspended not just in air, but in a liminal space between the past and the future. I stared out of the window as clouds floated by like divine chariots. Below, vast oceans and darkened continents passed silently. I was in the air, and yet I felt more grounded in purpose than ever before.
Amsterdam came into view at dawn. The city’s intricate canals, winding streets, and neatly arranged rooftops looked like a human-engineered tapestry of history and progress. The landing itself was yet another classroom, a masterclass in descent physics. The flaps extended, the nose tilted, and friction welcomed us back to earth. I was still flying in my spirit, even as the wheels kissed the tarmac.
A few hours later, I boarded a Delta Airlines flight to Minneapolis, Minnesota (in the USA). This time, a nine-hour voyage across the Atlantic. The great ocean beneath us, stretching endlessly, reminded me of the vastness of the unknown I was entering.
Somewhere over that body of water, I understood: this was not just a transition. It was an initiation. I was no longer just the boy who loved Physics; I was becoming the man who lived the principles; faith, knowledge, purpose, and motion.
When we landed in Minneapolis, I was greeted by kind faces; airport staff, facilitators, and fellow Mandela Washington Fellows. There was a shared unspoken understanding: “You belong. You are not alone.”
My final flight was another Delta Airlines carrier; Minneapolis to Arizona, where my Leadership Institute was being hosted. By then, I was beyond the mechanics of flight. I had entered a sacred mental zone. The desert landscape of Arizona, peppered with saguaros, symbolised survival and resilience. Three hours later, we landed. My feet touched American soil for the first time, but my spirit was already soaring.
The entire journey from Accra (Ghana) to Phoenix (Arizona) lasted 25 hours (this included transits through Armstedan and Minnepolis), but in those hours, I had traveled far beyond geography. I had crossed realms. I had transitioned.
The return journey was equally profound. After six weeks of learning, growing, and connecting, I left Arizona with a heart full and a mind expanded. My first flight back was to New York City; a five-hour stretch that offered a spectacular aerial view of Manhattan. The skyline shimmered like a constellation of ambition.
Then came the final leg: an 10-hour flight from JFK, New York City to Accra, Ghana. This entire journey from Phoenix (Arizona) to Accra (Ghana) lasted 18 hours.
As the plane descended into Ghanaian airspace on the morning of Monday, July 28th, 2025, my eyes welled with tears; not from fatigue, but from reverence. The wheels touched down, but I had changed. I had crossed oceans not just with my body, but with my entire identity.
I had seen the world.
I had shaken hands with colleagues, mentors, academics and professors, sat in policy sessions, and forged bonds with leaders across Africa. I had stepped into rooms I once only dreamt of, sat under Arizona’s stars, and walked through terminals with purpose in every stride. I had ascended, stabilized, and descended, just like the aircrafts I had long admired in theory. Except now, I understood flight not just as a concept, but as a calling.
To the U.S. Department of State, thank you for believing in young Africans. To the IREX team, the YALI Network, and all the 2025 Fellowship organisers at the University campuses, more especially the ASU MWF staff, partners and coaches; your vision is a launchpad for destinies. To the memory of Nelson Mandela, whose legacy continues to awaken nations, and to Barack Obama, whose visionary seed has grown into a continental forest, may you be richly blessed.
This was not just a journey. It was a divine appointment. A sacred crossing. My first flight, yes, but more than that, it was my first becoming. From Torve to Arizona, and back again, I soared. And I will never be the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

🕊️ A Year That Held a Decade: My Memoir in Seasons (December 2024 — November 2025)

𝐀 𝐃𝐄𝐂𝐀𝐃𝐄 𝐎𝐅 𝐁𝐄𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐆𝐈𝐅𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟓

🕊️ 𝐀 𝐘𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐇𝐞𝐥𝐝 𝐚 𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐚𝐝𝐞: 𝐌𝐲 𝐌𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐢𝐫 𝐢𝐧 𝐒𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐨𝐧𝐬 (𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟒 𝐭𝐨 𝐍𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟓) 𝐰𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐧 𝐛𝐲 𝐌𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐚𝐬 𝐄𝐭𝐬𝐞𝐲 𝐄𝐝𝐨𝐫, 𝐌𝐃, 𝐏𝐡𝐃 ©